Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tool #10 - Underneath it All - Digital Citizenship


For your Tool #10 assignment:
In YOUR blog post:
1. Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.
First of all, I think Copyright laws and plagarism would be very important for my students to understand, since they often want to use images from the internet for reference and because their artwork may end up in the internet.
Secondly, I would like for my students to have a better understanding of using appropriate websites for research.
Thirdly, just as we seek to communicate clearly through and express ourselves visually, they need to understand how electronic communication can be misconstrued and become harmful.
2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
The link below would be a good resource for helping my students to understand the importance of Copyright to the artist.
3. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
I think my students can relate to having their "Things" stolen or damaged, however they may not relate this to "ideas" being something that can be stolen, misused or damaged. The video used in Tool 3 which used Disney clips to talk about Copyright would be a good "hook" for the class to begin discussions about not only proper use of images, but good digital citizenship in general.
4. Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents.
I generally send home a letter at the beginning of the school year outlining the rules and expectations for my students and which requires their parents signature. I plan to include a section on digital citizenship and our expectations regarding them in this letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment